Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies

Even though they may seem so simple, there is a science behind chocolate chip cookies.

Whether the butter is melted or creamed with the sugar makes a difference in cookies. I generally prefer creamed, as the cookies bake up quite thick and chewy and retain their texture for longer. However, there is always an exception to the rule, and the thick and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe is just that.

Sugar also makes a difference to chocolate chip cookies. White sugar results in a crispier, crunchier cookie. Brown sugar makes a softer, chewier cookie. Interesting, isn’t it?

Well these cookies only have brown sugar in them, so they are super chewy. They may look crisp around the edges, but don’t let that fool you. These are one chewy chocolate chip cookie.

I saw these on broma bakery. They are the author’s mother’s recipe, and claim to be the best chocolate chip cookie ever. When I read that, I knew I had to try them. And they looked really good!

Unfortunately, mine don’t seem to look quite the same as hers. I’m not sure why. I much prefer the thick and chewy, New York Times or even the wholegrain chocolate chip cookie recipes I’ve tried (I love thick cookies! Sorry!). But for such a simple, easy recipe, they turned out great.

BROWN SUGAR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Adapted from broma bakery.

110g unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup + 3 tbsp plain flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a few trays with baking paper.

In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix together the soft butter, brown sugar, salt and baking soda until it is completely combined.

Add the egg and vanilla and keep mixing until it is combined.

Add the flour.

And then the chocolate chips.

Mix until everything is incorporated.

Scoop ping pong sized balls of dough and drop them onto the baking trays, allowing room for spreading.

Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are just set in the centre. Makes 18 cookies.

78 Thoughts on “Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. cookies look great! appreciate you didn’t tie them up with a ribbon, which is driving me nuts. My mother-in-law’s tollhouse are special because she uses salted butter, but I can’t have too many choc chip cookie recipes. Thanks!

• Hey, thanks! I’d love to try out your mother-in-law’s cookies, do you have a link to the recipe? And I totally agree that you can never have too many choc chip cookie recipes! I think I have about 10 and I’m always on the lookout for great new ones!

2. yummy. love chocolate chip cookies.. thin ones are a nice change from the hearty thick ones. very nice job. love the pics

3. These look delish! thanks for sharing and you have lovely photographer skills!

4. Pingback: Chewy Chocolate Chip

5. Oh my god this is too cute. And don’t worry, the texture in yours looks like mine when I bake them most of the time.

Love, Broma Bakery

6. Christie on January 18, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

I am making these right now :) I substituted the flour with some guten free all purpose flour. I hope they turn out :)

7. Jessica on January 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

I just made these with white chocolate chips
    i’m wondering why they’re sticking?
    they even stuck to the wax paper?

8. Pingback: >New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies (Revisited) | Butter

9. Justin on March 25, 2012 at 10:05 pm said:

A brilliant recipe. Thank you so much for sharing!

10. Monika on June 7, 2012 at 12:18 am said:

I baked these cookies last night & they were absolutely delicious! Everybody loved them, thanks for posting the recipe!

11. hayley on August 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

mne wont cook.. they are staying gooy

12. Amanda on August 19, 2012 at 7:06 am said:

Making these now, but my “dough” is really thin. Almost want to add more flour (?) but going to try a batch and see how they go.

13. This is a great recipe…the cookies were perfect!

14. Lindsey on November 5, 2012 at 5:06 am said:

I hardly ever bother leaving comments on the cookies recipes I try, but this recipe is amazing! It’s so simple and so delicious! I tried another chocolate chip recipe, and my family begged me to go back to this one! It’s my go-to recipe! Thanks for posting it! :)

15. Pingback: Faith Friday + The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever « Kids in the Sink

16. These look delicious!
    I’m after a yummy peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, that makes thin cookies just like these! Do you think it would work if I substituted the butter with peanut butter?
    Thanks!

17. just wondering…if the batter is supposed to be liquidy then what’s going on in your picture? Yours look like you added more flour..

• The batter isn’t liquidy. It is cookie dough, but not super thick cookie dough. It looks like it does in the picture, is soft and sticky, then spreads quite thin.

18. I’d have to say that these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made! Thank you for the recipe
    Natasha and the great illustrations to go with it.

19. Sonia on March 19, 2013 at 3:54 am said:

These cookies are absolutely delicious :) Thanks for the recipe Natasha!

20. Kisha on March 29, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

These look so yummy and super chewy(salivating). Do you think I could use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose? Thanks in advance.

21. Pingback: in the kitchen: brown sugar chocolate chip cookies | the best i’ve ever made! | {NATURAL} MOMMIE

22. LakerBaker on July 26, 2013 at 4:40 am said:

Favorite cookie recipe to date, thanks for sharing. I add 1-2 tsp of cinnamon to batches occasionally for a little twist, but these are perfect as is. Just the right amount of chew, crunch and moistness I want in a cookie, and they keep great in Tupperware for a few days, provided they stick around that long… delishious!

23. Louise E on September 18, 2013 at 6:37 am said:

Made these with my 3 year old today as he was off nursery feeling a bit under the weather. After promising to make biscuits I realised we had no Castor Sugar so great to find a simple Brown Sugar recipe. We doubled the quantities of everything and used white and milk chocolate buttons as we had no chocolate chips. Got stuck in with a bit of hand mixing and rolling out at the end. Used a 1.5 inch cutter about 2cm deep. It made 30 biscuits. They are absolutely gorgeous. We now have 25 left and no-one else has had a look in yet……

24. Pingback: Top 10 Favorite Comfort Foods | A Book and A Button

25. ive tried to make this recipe twice and both times they looked nothing like the picture and turned out kind out like cake, i dont know what im doing wrong because i followed the recipe

• Hi Bree – this is a funny recipe for me, if you have read the post you’ll know that they were supposed to be thick (as per the original recipe) but mine turned out like pancakes. If they turned out like cake it sounds like there’s too much flour? Are you weighing your ingredients/making sure you’ve got the right quantities? :-)

26. Fernanda on October 15, 2013 at 4:50 am said:

These are great, I’ve made them so many times already! But I just realized I’ve been using baking powder and not soda every time, do you think that’s ok?

27. I used 1/2 cup of the brown sugar Splenda blend and omggggg so yummy and 1/2 the guilt! :)

28. Absolutely perfect cookies! Using a level tablespoon this actually made 36 cookies of just the right size! Thank you for the treat!

29. georgiana on December 2, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

I made this yesterday, and it was amazing! My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. I followed your instructions and was worried at first about hand mixing it like in your photo, as I’ve always used a mixer. But the batter came together quite easily enough.

30. Natalie on December 29, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

Oh my gosh, these were sooo good! This is the best recipe I’ve tried so far. I did half and half light and dark brown sugar for a bolder taste and they were great! I’m so happy I finally found a recipe to save to my recipe book! Thanks so much!! :D

31. Excellent Cookie! Not being a big fan of salt I used 1/8 tsp medium course sea salt instead. Other wise it is one of the best cookies. Thanks for the recipe

32. I loved this recipe. They came out great. Next time I’d use only 1/3 cup of sugar though. I used milk chocolate chips and feel they make the cookies way sweeter than usual.

33. Stiart on March 5, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

For the other Yankees, 180C is 356F. Wish I would have caught that before throwing in the first batch. Maybe add a heads on the temperature thing next time for guys like me!

34. I didn’t have baking soda on hand so I substituted it with baking powder. The baking powder make it light and fluffy but not too fluffy. Still super delicious! But I will have to get baking soda because I looove super thin cookies. Thank you for the recipe!!

35. Thanks for posting this.

36. Karley on April 28, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Been making these for a couple years after I searched for a cookie I could make with brown sugar! have had this recipe book marked in google and always go back to it. Keeps on impressing everyone I make them for :) thank you so much!!!!!!

37. Tyarah on June 27, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

I feel like I may have done something wrong I made these once and they were perfect but this time when I take them out of the oven they are raw and haven’t spread out at all. Is there something I can do to fix this?

• Hi Tyarah! It’t probably got to do with your measurements of the ingredients. Do you use a scale? Was there too much flour? Too much leavening? Not enough butter? Was your butter/ or your cookies too cold?

38. I made these cookies for a party at school and everyone loved them! My mum, who detests anything chocolate and cookie, also complimented them and my dad said they were excellent! I made the most recent batch using Lindt dark chocolate cut up into chunks instead of chocolate chips, which gave these cookie an adultly feel, if that is possible with cookies! This quick and easy recipe works every time. I love the flavour that the brown sugar gives them, and not having to chill them in the fridge is always a bonus on a school night.

Thank you so much for making recipes like these available! This blog is bookmarked and I check it periodically, seeing if there is anything I want to make! I’ve had my eye on the Lemon Tartlets for quite some time, so they are next on the list to make! Once again thank you!!

• Thanks so much for the lovely comment! I’m so happy to hear that you and your family love these cookies so much!
      I’m glad you like all the other recipes too, the Lemon Tartlets are a fave of mine so let me know how you go!
      And as for having the blog bookmarked, you could always subscribe and get all the recipes via email! There’s about one a week. Happy baking! :-)

39. Hi! I’d love to try this recipe! Can I use salted butter instead (just asking coz that’s what’s in our fridge now haha). Please reply… Thanks so much!

40. This came out great! Do you know how many carbs are in this recipe?? Because my boyfriend has type 1 diabetes and I want to bake him these for his birthday.