Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Mud Cake

Can you melt chocolate?

Can you whisk batter?

Can you turn on your oven?

If you can do all those things, then you can totally make this cake.

It is that easy.

We used to make this recipe when I was a kid. A week or so ago my dad asked me if I remember this cake, and if we still had the recipe.

After a lot of searching, I eventually found it written into my old cookbook from when I was young. There were a whole bunch of things in there I had forgotten about that I don’t bake anymore. Like jam drops. And rock cakes.

Thank god for this blog for keeping my recipes organized. Because I don’t even know where this recipe originally came from, so I can’t link it back.

But boy is this cake good (and easy!). It is thick, chocolate-y and fudgy. Almost elegant in its simplicity and richness. To all those chocoholics out there, this is for you.

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT MUD CAKE

250g dark chocolate
250g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
9 eggs
250g hazelnut meal

Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a 23cm (9 inch) round spring-form pan with baking paper.

In a double saucepan or in a metal bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate and the butter.

Remove from the heat and stir in the caster sugar.

Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the hazelnut meal.

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour and 10-20 minutes, until the cake is set in the center. Serves 10-12.

Coco wanted some cake, too.

20 Thoughts on “Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Mud Cake

1. Alex Edney on April 15, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

I baked this cake for my wife’s 25th birthday last night and it was a BIG successes! I put a Ganache made with half dark chocolate and half lint chilli chocolate and that was just perfect on top! everyone absolutely loved it! Thanks for your blog, it’s very impressive. If you want to see a picture of the cake it’s on instagram (i’m following you) my user name is whatsyrexcuse.

• Hi Alex! I’m so happy to hear you made the cake and loved it :-) it looks great in the photo, and the ganache with chilli sounds delicious! Thanks for your kind words, and happy birthday to your wife!

2. Hollie on June 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm said:

Thinking of making this for my boyfriends birthday but would I be able to substitute almond meal instead of hazelnut? And also, what about baking in a rectangle/loaf time, would this vary the cooking time etc?

• Hi Hollie! I’m sure you could replace the hazelnut meal with almond meal, but it would have a really strong almond flavour, like frangipane, where the hazelnut meal is subtle.
      Not sure I would bake it in a loaf tin, it may take a really long time, but you could probably make it in a rectangular pan no problems, just reduce the baking time and keep checking on the cake.

3. Would this be safe to freeze and mail it off? Also if you did freeze it how would you go about the defrosting process?

• Hi Amber! By safe do you mean will it stay in one piece and not get destroyed? I would probably say that depends on how you pack it. If you put it in a snug fitting metal cake tin or something then it would probably be okay. As for freezing it first, I’m not sure there would be too much point as it would probably defrost before it even got sent. I have never frozen or defrosted any cakes that I have made, but if you choose to, taking it out of the freezer and leaving it at room temp will defrost it, you’ll just need to give it a good few hours :-)

4. Do you know how many carbs are in a slice? I’m prediabetic and can’t handle a lot of carbs at all.

• Hi Lori. I have no idea about the amount of carbs in the cake. But considering the amount of sugar and chocolate in there, I’d assume that it’s probably quite high. :-)

5. Would it be lower in carbs if I substituted a bit more splenda for the sugar asked for and used baking chocolate instead of sugary dark chocolate?

• Hi Lori. I can’t help you here because I have no idea of the carb content of splenda or baking chocolate. Baking chocolate is also compound chocolate, and is different to dark chocolate, which is couverture. It will give you a different final product. And I have never baked with splenda, so I’m not sure how that would turn out.

6. Angie wolthuis on January 22, 2013 at 2:12 pm said:

What would the conversion be for the recipe in America? I am wanting to make this but I want it to be exact measurements so it turns out. Thanks

7. Courtney on January 29, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

What is caster sugar?

8. Angela on February 1, 2013 at 1:12 am said:

Hi! This recipe calls for 9 eggs. Is this correct or a typo? Sorry if I sound rude because I’m just super surprised! But I totally trust you on the cake being yummy! Just wanted to confirm this! (:

• Hi Angela! Yep, the cake needs 9 eggs! The eggs are what’s going to hold it together, as there is no flour (and therefore no gluten, which is what normally holds cakes together). Hope you like it! :-)

9. Tinea Bradley on February 16, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

Hi Angela, Help! Do you know the measurements of this recipe in cups?

10. Tegan on March 25, 2014 at 8:36 pm said:

Hi!
    I want to make this cake for my father in laws birthday, but I need to decorate it a few days in advance. Does it stay fresh and moist for a few days if I were to make it 2 days prior?
    Thanks :-)