Tim Tam Chunk Cookies

I made nougat the other day. I made it for my boss to sell in his cafe.

I don’t like nougat. I got so angry at it. It wouldn’t spread into the pan. It refused to be cut into pieces. It just annoyed me so much that by the end I didn’t even want to take photos of it.

So I made you these cookies instead.

Now, this is a Tim Tam.

It is a pretty iconic Australian biscuit, or cookie, in the same way Oreos are iconically American. Except as far as I know, Tim Tams are only sold here.

Tim Tams are pretty awesome. They are a little similar to an Oreo, in that they are two biscuits sandwiched together by a creme layer that’s in the middle. Except the biscuits layers in a TimĀ  Tam are light and crumbly, and the creme is chocolate flavoured. And then the whole thing is coated in a layer of chocolate.

You can get all sorts of flavours too, but original are the best. Actually, double coated are pretty good too.

Anyway. These Cookies and Cream Cookies were a huge hit in my household, and in my mouth. So I made them with Tim Tams.

Bits of chocolate biscuit, chocolate creme and chocolate all through my cookie. What’s not to love?

TIM TAM CHUNK COOKIES
Cookie dough adapted from Nestle Toll House.

220g unsalted butter (1 cup, 2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 packet of Tim Tams (11 biscuits)

Preheat the oven to 180 C and line baking trays with parchment paper.

Chop each Tim Tam into 10 pieces and set aside.

Beat the butter and sugars together using an electric mixer until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.

Mix in the flour, salt and baking soda on a low speed until combined. Add the Tim Tam pieces and mix until just combined (eat some raw dough, its amazing!).

Scoop tablespoons of dough onto baking trays and bake for 9-10 minutes. Makes 36 cookies.

22 Thoughts on “Tim Tam Chunk Cookies

1. Susan on March 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

I have bought Tim Tams before here in the U.S. I’ve only ever seen them during the Christmas season though.

• Awesome! Thanks for that Susan, great to know.

• Kristina on March 2, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

They have them at World Market, but they’re called Arnott’s I believe. Same packaging and cookie, just a different name!

• I’ve seen them at Target, but I don’t remember it being the Christmas season… Now that you mention it though, I don’t recall seeing them lately… That makes me sad; I was so excited to see them sold here! I guess that means I should stock up next time I come across them. :)

2. Leighton on March 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm said:

They look fantastic!
    Tim Tam in the UK are called Penguin so I think I’ll be trying these soon!

3. Andrea on March 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

I found Tim Tams once here in Mexico, in one supermarket. I didn’t buy them, but was thrilled because I recognized them and I love imported things.

• Yes! Imported things are awesome! I love going to the supermarket and fining biscuits or chocolates that I loved in Europe, or the States :-)

• Phillip on June 19, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

Where did you find them in Mexico! I’m in Mexico and looking for Tim Tams too :-)

• Andrea on June 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

Hi!! It was at a Wal Mart, but I don’t know if they still have them. You might also find them at Chedraui or Liverpool (pro tip: Liverpool also carries several varieties of Milka these days).

If I happen to see them the next time I go shopping, I’ll stop by here to tell you!

4. Pingback: >Tim Tam Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies | Butter

5. Bianca on March 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm said:

TimTams are sold by Arnotts in the U.S but they are only available during the cooler seasons as they don’t have the refridgerated trucks needed to transport them and keep them from melting. Sometimes they are sold under the brand Pepperidge Farms.
    Penguin in the UK is not the same biscuit as a TimTam (in terms of the company that makes them) but is actually a predecessor to the TimTam, Penguin having been made first. They are pretty similar but being an Aussie I like TimTams better.

My TimTam knowledge comes from the fact I have friends overseas who have been on the hunt for them.

6. THRILLED to have found your blog!

Had a sudden urge to bake some cookies but had minimal ingredients at home and no time to head to the shops. Finally found some Tim Tams and thought that it could replace choc chips but decided to do a quick hunt on the web for an actual recipe!

Cookies are currently baking ~ can’t wait to see how they turn out! Thanks! =)

xx

7. Betty on April 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm said:

Just made your cookies and they tasted delicious! Thanks! :)

8. Sarah on June 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

OMG! I absolutely LOVED <3 your recipe, just amazingly delicious! Thanks1 :D

9. I have seen Tim Tam in Japan, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Malaysia and even Brunei!! They usually come in two different sizes of packaging. The smaller ones are usually made in Indonesia, and the bigger, larger sizes are usually made in Australia. As I have tasted all the flavours, the Indonesian Tim Tams are sweeter while the Aussie ones have stronger chocolate taste.