Nutella Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love Nutella! And I love cookies.

If you are a regular visitor over here at Butter, you would totally be well aware of those facts.

I grew up eating Nutella, and since there’s no Biscoff in Australia, and I desperately want to get my hands on it to bake with, I’ve been busying myself with Nutella recipes instead.

I have made cookies filled with Nutella before, but that was a long time ago, and these are a different cookie recipe – one with chocolate chips. Even better!

And I loved these. The cookies were a great combination of chewy and crunchy, the chocolate chips made them extra yummy, and the big, gooey, Nutella lava centers were the best.

I ate one at every meal time for as long as they lasted. Not kidding.

NUTELLA FILLED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Cookie dough recipe adapted from Picky Palate.

220g unsalted butter, softened (1 cup)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 jar of Nutella (you won’t need the whole thing), refrigerated

Preheat the oven to 180 C and line 3 trays with baking paper.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until combined and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.

Turn the mixer onto a low speed and slowly add the flour, salt and soda, mixing until just incorporated. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.

Using a medium cookie scoop or heaped tablespoon, scoop balls of the dough. Place a ball of dough in the palm of your hand and flatten it well. Place a teaspoon of Nutella in the center and fold the edges of the dough over, using your fingers to pinch them together and shape the dough around the Nutella.

Place on baking trays and bake for about 1o minutes, until lightly golden. Makes 32 cookies.

68 Thoughts on “Nutella Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. beautiful photography, great layout and of course, totally scrumptious cookies! thanks for the recipe! gonna try these soon :)

2. wow! nutella is my favourite thing in the whole world and i feel so disgustingly ill today these might just cheer me up! thankyou so much!!! x

3. Siori on March 20, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

Does everything you make turn up incredibly delicious??? I just finished the first batch of these cookies, and I think I died of too much deliciousness (or cholesterol, one of the two). These were sinfully fantastic and I can’t wait for my parents to get home from work so they can taste these cookies. Thanks for posting! :D

4. rachel on March 27, 2012 at 7:30 am said:

yumm these look so good!
    I really hope I can try them soon!!
    great blog with great recipes!

5. Pingback: >Biscoff Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies | Butter

6. Anne Bonney on August 15, 2012 at 4:24 am said:

Good grief – these made my mouth water. Can’t wait to try them.

7. Christina on August 15, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

Made these tonight – super fun and delicious. To your readers: make sure you put the Nutella in the fridge well in advance, and don’t make the cookies on top of the oven – the dough gets really soft and hard to manage! Thanks for the recipe!

8. Marci Holland on September 3, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

These were great and a hit with the teenager for lunch bag surprise! I use 1/2 milk chocolate chips and 1/2 white chocolate chips.

9. Hello , what kind of chocolate chips shall i use? milk or semi sweet?

10. Kayla Blakeney on November 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm said:

Can I freeze these?

11. silverstreak on December 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

FINGER LICKING!! <3

12. Pingback: >Nutella Stuffed Wholewheat Banana Coffee Cake Muffins | Butter Baking

13. iarek on April 2, 2013 at 12:46 am said:

I have extra nutella filling, It has been mixed with icing and butter already can I still use this filling for the cookies?

14. Charlie Robin Darie on April 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

I just found your Blog! When I read this decadent recipe I had to try this! I jetted off to the store and bought some Nutella. I grew up eating it and when I lived in France got obsessed, yet I never thought to put it inside a cookie! I used my own cookie recipe because I am one of those gluten free eaters and it still worked like a charm. They are rich and delicious! They are also fun to make. I can’t wait to try the other recipes you have shared! Thank you!

• Hi Charlie! I’m really happy to read this. I’m glad you were inspired to try a new idea with Nutella and that you happily adapted the recipe to suit your needs – that’s great!
      Great to have you following the blog, hope you enjoy :-D

15. natashalh on May 7, 2013 at 7:00 am said:

These are fantastic looking cookies and it is so nice to find another Natasha out there! Pinning your delicious recipe =)

16. marmar on May 27, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

AMAZING!! I’LL TRY TO MAKE SOME TODAY !!!

17. Pingback: Nutella-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies | the goldfish princess eats.

18. I adore nutella :) will def make this :)

19. lisamarie on July 3, 2013 at 6:37 am said:

can you show please how you fold over the edges? I’m picturing pierogie style, but these are circles in the end. I don’t understand.

• Hi Lisamarie. I put the Nutella in the middle, then bring all the edges up into the center, pinch them together, and then roll them between your palms to form a ball :-)

20. Virali on January 6, 2014 at 1:37 am said:

Hi..
    Can these be made eggless?

• Hi Virali,
      I’m sure you could try and use an egg replacement :-)

• Virali on January 6, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

Hi,
        can we use milk or curd instead and what would the qty be like? or can i skip the egg part in the recipe?

• Hi Virali. No I wouldn’t use milk. Not sure what you mean by curd. I’ve only ever used applesauce to replace egg, or I think you can buy a flax egg replacement. They will not be the same as if you use an egg. And no, you can’t just leave the egg out.

21. These are only the best cookies I have ever ever made.

22. Sierra on February 7, 2014 at 7:53 pm said:

Hi, will these work with smooth peanut butter instead of Nutella for the centers?

23. These are so fabulous. Made them yesterday, but didn’t roll the dough out thin enough, so they ended up MASSIVE (the recipe made about 18 instead of 32). If anything though, that made them even better. :) Thanks for the recipe!

24. Anita on March 7, 2014 at 4:00 am said:

Would it be okay if I didn’t use any brown sugar?

25. Thoughts on swapping the amount of brown and white sugar, so that there’d be more brown? This would make it chewier, right? And I suppose light-brown would be best, to keep the molasses flavor down.

26. I’ve made these so many times, they’re amazing! I recently tried replacing the Nutella centre with a piece of Caramello chocolate and they have become a huge hit with all my friends, recommend trying the switch also its probably the best biscuit base I’ve used. I use an ice cream scoop to make sure all cookies are the same size too :)

27. Amyjean on May 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm said:

When you place them on the tray do you flatten them a little bit or just leave them in their ball shape?

28. Yves on June 16, 2014 at 1:29 pm said:

Those look absolutely amazing!!
    Want to make them now but i run out of nutella.
    Would it be okay if I add a big chunk of chocolate instead?

29. Daniel Revita on June 28, 2014 at 5:34 am said:

Hello, it’s been Fathers day and decided to make something different. I decided to make nutella filled cookies and they came out delicious! :)

Only problem is, I don’t know why my nuttella centre solidified! I cooked it for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C in a fan oven but was too mushy. I left it for 3-5 more minutes and so my cookies became crunchy. I don’t have a problem with it being crunchy (In fact I like it crunchy) but I was quite disappointed when the nutella solidified. Any reasons why?

• Hi Daniel! It sounds like the cookies were over baked. The cookies need to bake until the outside is golden but the centre still looks a little soft, under baked, or “mushy”. As the cookies will cool that centre will cook a little more and set up to make a chewy cookie with a nutella-lava centre.
      If you baked these for so long and had a “crunchy” cookie, the nutella probably got too hot, burnt, and went hard.
      Always err on the side of under baking! Good luck next time :-)

30. Hey! I made these and posted my version here: http://www.theperfectionist.co.uk/2014/06/nutella-filled-chocolate-chip-cookies.html Thanks so much for the recipe and inspiration!

31. Pingback: Let the truth be told…{Choc-chip fail} | hayley gemma

32. Pingback: Nutella-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies | the goldfish princess eats.

33. Can u give me quantities in grams rather than cups?