So the other day I made muffins that tasted like apple pie.
Breakfast is hard when you need to get out of the house before 7am.
I can never wake up when my alarm goes off at 6. I end up hitting snooze about 10 times, and before I know it it’s 6.25. And by then I’m already running so late, and I have 20 minutes to get ready, and have a shower, and get dressed, and put something, anything, on my face.
So breakfast isn’t the biggest priority.
Until I get to culinary school or work, that is, and by then, I’m STARVING.
So I decided to make some muffins, to grab and go, pack into my bag, and have for breakfast. I wanted them to be somewhat healthy and to have apples and oats in them.
And these were the result. I loved them. They ended up tasting just like apple pie with the cinnamon, chunks of apple, soft vanilla cake and oaty, crispy brown sugar crumble topping.
The best on-the-go breakfast.
- FOR THE MUFFINS
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 apples (I used granny smith)
- FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR CRUMBLE
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened and cubed (28g, 1 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
- To make the crumble topping, mix together the oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and use a fork to crumble it together. Set aside.
- Peel, core and dice the apples into 1cm (1/2 inch) cubes. Set aside.
- To make the muffins, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a jug, whisk together the oil, egg and milk. Pour it into the well in the dry ingredients and mix gently, with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the flour is just incorporated. Stir through 1 cup of the apples.
- Fill the muffin liners ⅔ full with batter. Top the muffins with the remaining chopped apple and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar crumble.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Your house will smell amazing. Makes 12 regular muffins.
Inspired by Vanilla and Lace.