Oh my gosh, this cake is amazing.
And boy did I choose a fantastic recipe to try!
I had a random day off, and a good friend was coming by for an afternoon coffee. I had some cookies around, but wanted to make something a little more special for her, as she is so fantastic, has been a great supporter of my blog and always brings over goodies like flowers, chocolates and food magazines.
So I made this cake. It was so quick and easy to make. The long ingredient list daunted me initially, but the whole thing took about 20 minutes and went straight into the oven. Easy.
We had coffee and cookies and chatted about life and work and friends as the cake baked. It came out of the oven smelling delicious, and we shared a hot, fat slice. We both loved it.
The cake itself is soft and moist, the strawberry layer is a lovely balance of tart and sweet soft strawberries, and the crunchy, caramel-y crumble on top was a great texture contrast and tasted just amazing.
We loved this cake, and a lot of it got eaten up before I even got a chance to snap some photos. A must try!
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup sugar (125g)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 85g unsalted butter, softened (3 oz, 6 tbsp)
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt (85g)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 1¾ cups plain flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (60g)
- ⅓ cup sugar (80g)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 110g unsalted butter, melted (4 oz, ½ cup)
- FOR THE STRAWBERRY FILLING
- 2 punnets strawberries (500g, 18 oz)
- ¼ cup sugar (55g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 170 C (325 F). Grease a 9 inch round springform tin and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- To make the cake, using an electric mixer, beat the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and butter on a low speed until the mixture comes together and resembles a crumble.
- Meanwhile, combine the Greek yogurt, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a small bowl. Add it into the crumble mixture in 3 batches, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the cake batter into the springform tin and spread out evenly with the back of a spoon.
- To make the filling, hull and quarter the strawberries. Toss them with the sugar and cornstarch and scatter evenly over the cake batter in the tin.
- To make the crumb topping, combine all the ingredients with a fork in a medium bowl until all the flour is incorporated. Crumble the mixture in an even layer over the strawberries.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour. Allow to cool before removing from the tin and cutting. Serves 8 - 10.
Adapted from Completely Delicious, original recipe from The New York Times.