Strawberry Crumb Cake

Oh my gosh, this cake is amazing.

I have a lot of delicious looking strawberry cakes and coffee cakes pinned on Pinterest and since I so fell in love with strawberries in pie, I have been meaning to make a strawberry coffee cake.

And boy did I choose a fantastic recipe to try!

I had a random day off, and a good friend was coming by for an afternoon coffee. I had some cookies around, but wanted to make something a little more special for her, as she is so fantastic, has been a great supporter of my blog and always brings over goodies like flowers, chocolates and food magazines.

So I made this cake. It was so quick and easy to make. The long ingredient list daunted me initially, but the whole thing took about 20 minutes and went straight into the oven. Easy.

We had coffee and cookies and chatted about life and work and friends as the cake baked. It came out of the oven smelling delicious, and we shared a hot, fat slice. We both loved it.

The cake itself is soft and moist, the strawberry layer is a lovely balance of tart and sweet soft strawberries, and the crunchy, caramel-y crumble on top was a great texture contrast and tasted just amazing.

We loved this cake, and a lot of it got eaten up before I even got a chance to snap some photos. A must try!

STRAWBERRY CRUMB CAKE

Adapted from Completely Delicious, original recipe from The New York Times.

For the cake
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup sugar (125g)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
85g unsalted butter, softened (3 oz, 6 tbsp)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt (85g)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla

For the crumb topping
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/3 cup brown sugar (60g)
1/3 cup sugar (80g)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
110g unsalted butter, melted (4 oz, 1/2 cup)

For the strawberry filling
2 punnets strawberries (500g, 18 oz)
1/4 cup sugar (55g)
1 tbsp cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 170 C (325 F). Grease a 9 inch round springform tin and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.

To make the cake, using an electric mixer, beat the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and butter on a low speed until the mixture comes together and resembles a crumble.

Meanwhile, combine the Greek yogurt, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a small bowl. Add it into the crumble mixture in 3 batches, beating well after each addition.

Pour the cake batter into the springform tin and spread out evenly with the back of a spoon.

To make the filling, hull and quarter the strawberries. Toss them with the sugar and cornstarch and  scatter evenly over the cake batter in the tin.

To make the crumb topping, combine all the ingredients with a fork in a medium bowl until all the flour is incorporated. Crumble the mixture in an even layer over the strawberries.

Bake the cake for 1 hour. Allow to cool before removing from the tin and cutting. Serves 8 – 10.

18 Thoughts on “Strawberry Crumb Cake

1. Monette on April 22, 2012 at 7:05 am said:

You should try it with blueberries too!:)

2. Anisha on April 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm said:

Tried the recipe as I was also having a friend over. Used sour cream instead of yogurt. It really came out very soft and moist, enjoyed it very much, thanks for the recipe.

3. Oh my gosh, so pretty! I love crumb toppings soooo of course I’m going to want to make this! :)

4. Pingback: Jordbærkage med flødeskum - Bageglad.dk

5. I baked this today, using sour cream as I didn’t have Greek yogurt. I also used a small rectangular baking pan as I don’t have a spring-form pan. Nonetheless, it turned out absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe! You can see a picture of my success – linked to your page – here:

• Hi Kim! Oh I’m so glad to hear you made it and that it turned out! I think the recipe originally called for sour cream, I just tried to make it a little healthier with what i had on hand ;-) I’m so happy you liked it, thanks for the link love!! :-)

6. Fiona Smith on January 31, 2013 at 5:08 pm said:

Hi Natasha,

Do you think you could freeze this cake once it was baked and cooled? I’ve frozen similar ones with apples but not sure about doing it with the strawberries.

• Hi Fiona,
      I am not 100% sure because I really don’t freeze anything I bake.
      What I think though is that the strawberries will create lots of juice as they defrost and make the cake soggy. :-)

• Fiona Smith on February 1, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

I think you may be right. I actually freeze nearly my cakes as I bake on the weekend for whatever is on during the week. Haven’t tried strawberries though so if I do I’ll let you know the results.

Absolutely love your blog – and how could I not love someone who has such a passion for Nutella and Peanut Butter!

• That’s fair enough Fiona! But I definitely think strawberries will defrost differently to apples. Let me know how you go to confirm.
          Thanks so much!! I’m happy to hear you like it :-D

7. Carol Poluan on February 6, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

Two friends that I haven’t seen for a long time are coming over next week, I’d like to make this and my zucchini cake. Thanks for sharing.

8. Rachel on April 12, 2014 at 2:44 pm said:

Made this yesterday for my sister because anything with crumble is her favourite, and your recipe have become my new fav :) it was delish!!! thank you :)

9. Pingback: Strawberry and Pistachio Crumble Cake | Melly's Baking