I have an announcement to make everyone. I am going to Europe again. Yay!
I must seriously have the travel bug as I’m going again so soon. A trip to Europe from Australia is no easy feat. It is about 30 hours of travel time all together, with about 24 of those hours being on a plane.
Thank god for in-flight entertainment.
Anyway, a few of my friends are taking off on a Europe trip this year, and they were going to a few places that I seriously wanted to visit, so I couldn’t resist booking a ticket for myself!
I will be visiting Poland once again, and also taking short trips to Berlin and Budapest. I’m really excited! Budapest looks like its going to be amazingly beautiful. And while in Berlin, I am planning to meet up with a blogger friend of mine, so we can have a Berlin Baking Day. Fun!
None of this has anything to do with crumble, apart from the idea that when I’m in Europe its going to be SUMMER and I will be able to bake with summer fruits again! So there will be many more of these strawberry crumbles for me.
- FOR THE FILLING
- 3 apples
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 punnets of strawberries (500g, 18 oz)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour or cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE CRUMBLE
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup oats
- 70g unsalted butter, cubed (2.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and get out a 22cm (9 inch) round ceramic dish (or similar).
- Peel, core and dice your apples into 2cm (1 inch) cubes. Place in a small pot with 2 tbsp sugar and cook, covered, over a very low heat, for 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally, and turn the apples off when they are just soft.
- Meanwhile, hull and halve the strawberries. Place them in a large bowl with 3 tbsp sugar, the tapioca flour and salt. Set aside.
- To make the crumble, grind the oats in a food processor or blender until fine. Combine the oats, flour, butter, sugar and salt either with your fingertips or using an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment set on low. Mix until it forms a crumble mixture.
- Mix the strawberry and apple mixtures together. Spread them into the baking dish and top evenly with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Serves 6-8.