Caramel slice is pretty much a staple in most Australian cafes.
It appears to be somewhat similar to millionaire’s shortbread. I have never made millionaire’s shortbread, but from the pictures I’ve seen on other blogs, it looks pretty similar.
Caramel slice (slice is the word Australians use for all types of bars) is delicious. It involves a biscuit base made from coconut, sugar, flour and melted butter. There’s a thick, gooey condensed milk caramel layer in the center. And then its topped with a thick layer of chocolate.
Typically, the chocolate layer is made from cheap dark chocolate and, like, shortening. Which is kind of gross.
When I was a kid and I used to go for lunch or coffee to cafes with my mum, she would always order caramel slice, it was her absolute favourite. The thick chocolate shortening layer, however, would be pulled off immediately and thrown to the side, while we enjoyed the thick, sticky caramel and the buttery, crumbly biscuit layers.
So I’ve made my own version of the chocolate topping here, combining milk chocolate and a little Nutella. It was totally delicious, and I’m happy to say no one threw the chocolate tops off these little bars.
- FOR THE BISCUIT BASE
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 125g unsalted butter, melted (4.5 oz, 9 tbsp)
- ½ tsp salt
- FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING
- 2 x 395g cans condensed milk (2 x 14 oz cans)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (14g)
- ½ tsp salt
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 150g milk chocolate, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 50g Nutella (1/3 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a 9 x 13 inch pan with baking paper.
- To make the biscuit base, mix both flours, the coconut, brown sugar, salt and melted butter together in a large bowl.
- Press evenly into the lined tin. Bake for 10 minutes.
- To make the caramel filling, combine the condensed milk, maple syrup and butter in a small saucepan.
- Place over a medium heat and cooking, stirring continuously with a spatula, until it is boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until thick and golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the salt.
- Spread the caramel in an even layer over the biscuit base. Bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Allow the slice to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate topping, place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring between each burst, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in the Nutella.
- Spread the chocolate topping evenly over the slice. Refrigerate until the chocolate sets.
- Cut the slice however you like, I cut mine into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces. Makes 63 little caramel bars.
- Happy baking!