I am so sorry for not posting for so long! I was computerless in Europe and it is super hard trying to blog from an iPhone! I just arrived back home not long ago and thought I’d share the last of my European Instagram photo posts with you before getting back into the normal swing of things.
When I made these little babies, I was in Poland, hanging out with family in the warm, sunny garden, catching up with old friends, going to lots of parties and all around enjoying a great holiday in Europe.
In Poland, I spent a week or so at my uncle’s house. His family now live in the home that my mum grew up in, in a small village in south east Poland.
The house is old but beautiful, the yard is big with a wonderful hammock, and in the garden, he and my aunt grow raspberries and strawberries, lettuce and cucumbers, tomatoes and spring onion.
I spent a lot of my time in the village with my cousin sun baking, on the hammock, while eating raspberries picked fresh from the bush. Amazing.
I spent a bit of time baking while I stayed in the village too. I made traditional polish strawberry dumplings (pierogi), my ultimate brownies, tried my hand at making my basic shortcrust pastry with European ingredients and then baked it up into little berry hand pies with freshly picked berries.
One of the things I really wanted to make for my family and friends were my favourite easy Nutella brownies.
They don’t really eat many chocolate desserts in Poland though. Instead, there’s much more sponge, jelly, fruit and custard involved in their baking. So I filled the little Nutella brownie bites with fresh berries to cut through all the richness and sweetness. And they were delicious, such cute little things, too.
- 1 cup Nutella (280g, 10 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 10 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup berries (I used blueberries and raspberries)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease a non stick 24 hole mini muffin pan with butter.
- Combine the berries, sugar and 2 tsp flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Nutella, eggs, flour and salt until combined.
- Put about half a teaspoon of batter into each of the 24 mini muffin holes.
- Top with a small teaspoon of berry mixture, then divide the remaining Nutella batter among the 24 holes, topping the fruit.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Makes 24 mini Nutella brownie bites.
- Happy baking!
Brownie recipe adapted from Abby Dodge.