So let’s talk about culinary school.
It’s pretty awesome. And I kind of love it.
We have lots of different classes, each of which run for a term. There has been cakes, pastries, bread, basic cooking, restaurant classes, hot and cold desserts, yeast goods, petit fours and more.
I absolutely loved hot and cold desserts, and pastries, and yeast goods. Basically I love the classes in which we make great food. And the classes in which we have good teachers.
Making croissants and danishes in yeast goods were my favourite classes. Hot, buttery pastries fresh out of the oven are amazing.
And in hot and cold desserts, we had an amazing teacher, who won the world championship in bread and pastry sculpture last year. Learning how to plate up desserts from him was awesome.
Then there are theory classes. Like hygiene, hospitality and food safety.
Those classes are ridiculous. And boring. there are only so many times you can be taught the same thing without starting to fall asleep on your desk.
One of the theory classes we had this semester was coaching. All we did the whole term was plan a coaching session, where in 10 minutes, we had to coach someone how to do something. Anything.
So I taught my friend how to frost cupcakes.
I’m completely and utterly over cupcakes after having to bake and ice them at work in the morning, so I made these Nutella brownies into cupcakes, stuffed them with an Oreo, and whipped up an easy Nutella frosting to teach her how to ice them with.
They were great! I loved them with frosting.
I taught her the basic technique I frost with at work, just using a star nozzle instead of a round one. Once we finished, everyone got to eat Nutella brownie cupcakes and they were a hit!
And my friend has been nagging me for the frosting recipe ever since.. so here you go Maddison!
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1½ cups Nutella (420g, 15 oz)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup + 3 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 Oreos
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 250g unsalted butter, softened (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240g)
- ⅔ cup Nutella (100g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp milk
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180 C and line a 12 hole muffin pan with cupcake liners. Place an Oreo in the base of each liner.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Nutella, eggs, flour and salt until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin holes. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, fit your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat the butter and sugar on a low speed until they are combined.
- Add the Nutella and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl, add the vanilla and the salt, and beat for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the milk, while still mixing, and beat for a further minute.
- Fit a piping bag with a medium star nozzle, fill with buttercream and frost as desired. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Adapted from Abby Dodge.
Adapted from Kitchen Treaty.