Sometimes in life, we make big deals out of small things.
Small deals get blown out of proportion and turned into super big issues.
Sometimes, it’s when you’re fighting with someone (typically a partner), and the smallest issue turns into a three day fight. All I’ll say about that is how. freaking. boring.
Sometimes, it’s when you’re stressing out about a potential problem, something that could possibly happen, a “what if?” situation. It’s easy to forget that you should only be freaking out IF it actually happens, and not in case it might.
Sometimes, it’s when you’re worrying about something unnecessarily, because you don’t realize that in the bigger picture, or in the scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter that much.
It’s life. People freak out all the time. They stress. They worry. They fret. They fight.
A lot of the time, I think it’s easy to lose sight of what is important.
Then something happens. An actual problem. A big deal, like this one. And it makes you realize that your problem or your stressing or your fight is petty. It doesn’t matter. It’s insignificant. Because there are people out there who have bigger problems, real issues.
And when things like that happen, they make you feel grateful. I think it’s easy to take things for granted sometimes, and we forget to be grateful.
But we should be grateful everyday. For life. For health. For our families. For the fact that we have somewhere to live. For our friends. For love. For our jobs. Even for little things, like cookies.
So bake these cookies.
They are thick and chewy, swirled through with Nutella and have a bite from the wholewheat flour.
Bake them for yourself to make a bad day better. Or to make a good day brighter. For a loved one to show them you care. For your family, just because. Or for a friend who needs you. And be grateful for all the things you have, everyday.
- 220g cold unsalted butter, cubed (1 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Nutella (210g, 7.5 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a few trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars together until just combined. Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- On a low speed, mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the chocolate chips and mix until well distributed.
- Stir the Nutella through gently by hand, being careful not to mix it in too much but to leave it swirled in.
- Scoop tablespoons of dough onto lined baking trays. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the trays. Makes about 36 cookies.
Cookie base recipe adapted from Hungry Girl Por Vida.