Healthy Apple, Yogurt and Oat Breakfast Muffins

So I’ve put on a little weight recently.

Just a few kilos.

It’s actually bothering the heck out of me but I’m trying not to freak out about it.

I have no idea how it happened.

It couldn’t possibly be due to all the beer, cider, lychee martinis and white sangria (that stuff is amazing) that I have been drinking now that spring is here.

Or it couldn’t be because of all the Nutella cheesecake I have been loving.

Or because of the crazy amount of jaconde sponge, homemade ice cream and chocolate garnish scraps I have been snacking on in my Present Desserts class at culinary school.

No, no, it couldn’t possibly be because of any of that.

So in all of my weight gain denial, I baked. I diet-baked.

Yep. I made us some diet baked goods. I’ll snack on these instead of on sponge cake scraps from now on, okay?

These muffins are super super moist, especially for healthy muffins. They stay moist for days, and actually taste really good. Not like they’re healthy at all.

I’ve made them about five times already since first making and photographing them. I’ve tried them with mashed banana instead of some of the applesauce and put in frozen blueberries instead of the raisins.

The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!

HEALTHY APPLE, YOGURT AND OAT BREAKFAST MUFFINS
Inspired by Everyday Health.

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain yogurt
55g unsalted butter, softened (1/4 cup)
2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plain flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup raisins (or blueberries)

Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Stir together the oats and yogurt and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together with a wooden spoon.

Add the egg and beat to combine. Stir in the applesauce. Mix in the yogurt oat mixture.

Stir in both flours, the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt until just incorporated.

Mix through the apple and raisins gently.

Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin holes.

Bake for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

43 Thoughts on “Healthy Apple, Yogurt and Oat Breakfast Muffins

1. They look delish and am going to try them,, we could do with some healthy stuff to counteract all the sweet goodies in my house! Your photographs are always great, do you use a great camera with a specialist lens?

• Oh I’m happy to hear you’re going to make them! I hope you like them :-) and they are yummy and healthy!
      Thank you so much :-) I use a canon 550D, which I love, with a canon 1.8 50mm lens (which is a macro lens but is really cheap). :-)

2. Ooh, I love white sangria too! I’m definitely a beer over wine kind of girl, but give me some sangria and I’m all over it :)

Love this recipe…I’m going to try it with blueberries and bananas!

• Oh Maura I think we were meant to be, I’m exactly the same! Love my beer (and I’m one of few!?), but I’m the same with sangria, especially the white stuff.
      Oh do! I now make it with half applesauce/half mashed banana, then the chopped apple + 1/2 cup blueberries. Delicious. let me know what you think! :-)

3. Thanks for posting this.. It’s been a pleasure to read :)

4. just for the record, you have not put on weight! love this recipe.. can’t wait to make it!! x

5. I just love looking through your posting, you have the most excellent voice.

6. Pingback: >Double Chocolate Chip Nutella Stuffed Oreo Crumb Cookie Cups | Butter

7. Can I make a cake out of this instead? What should i set the temp to if in a baking tin, the aluminium type? And what difference does the brown sugar make over white sugar?

• Hi! You could try and bake it as a cake, but I haven’t tried it so no promises it will work. Leave the oven temperature the same, 180 C (350 F).
      Brown sugar makes a difference to the flavour and texture of the cake so be sure to use it.

8. Gladys on March 19, 2013 at 2:45 pm said:

Can you post a recipe on how to make homemade applesauce? :)

9. I never leave comments on food blogs, but I make a batch of these muffins – or a variation (replace apple sauce with orange juice; replace apples with dried apricot; replace raisins with nuts or zest) – every single Sunday, so felt like I had to thank you for it. :)

10. These are some of the very best muffins I’ve ever made. I have 3 kids who will eat just about anything as long as it’s in muffin form so I look for healthy muffin recipes to make for them. I will not look further for an apple oat recipe. These rock my world – I’m going to make a double batch of these right now.

• Haha Mel, I’m very glad to hear these muffins rock your world ;-)
      They’re great in incorporating all those healthy breakfast staples, aren’t they?! Enjoy! :-)

11. Heather on April 9, 2013 at 6:55 am said:

I found your blog today when searching for some healthy muffin recipes. I baked both the apple/cinnamon and banana/blueberry muffins today and they are delicious! I sprinkled a little brown sugar on top when they came out of the oven to add a teeny bit more sweetness. My kids are gobbling them up, thank you! Now I’m going to have to try some of your not so healthy chocolate recipes!

• Hey Heather,
      I’m happy to hear you tried out the recipes, and I love the feedback! A great little healthy muffin recipe is always a winner, and amazing to have on hand for breakfast :-) and I’m glad your kids like them too!
      Hope you enjoy some of the cheekier recipes just as much ;-)

12. Pingback: Memorial Day Muffin-Fest!! | PugmamastacePugmamastace

13. Janelle Rin on May 28, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

Just made a batch of these – had some greek yoghurt i had to use up! and i substituted apple for pear and used 3/4 cup white flour plus 1/4 cup almond meal (as i didnt have any wholemeal flour) – SUPERB!! Love your blog and your ? nutella obsession!! – these recipes are all going in my emergency throw together file!!! – :) Janelle in New Zealand

14. Janelle Rin on June 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm said:

Im Back – made these again tonight – but with coconut cream instead of yoghurt – SOO TASTY!!

15. Pingback: Apple yogurt muffins | Learning how to cook

16. reneemiller11 on November 14, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

I didn’t have raisins so I used mission figs… oh. yes.

17. vandana on January 5, 2014 at 12:22 am said:

I have made these a few times and frozen them for my toddler. He LOVES them. For my toddler, I have replaced the apple with banan, pear and/or zuccini and carrots. Also, once I replaced the Apple Sauce with homemade pear sauce and a “love child organics” pureed fruit (just because it was what i had) and they still worked!!! Very versatile and delicious recipe. (also put less sweet for my little guy). Thanks for this awesome recipe!

18. Reduced the calories even more http://rosieshomekitchen.com/recipes/yoghurt-apple-cranberry-and-oat-muffins/ thanks for the inspiration
    Rosie

19. These were delicious, just made them for my boys school lunches. So moist and full of flavour. Thanks x

20. Pingback: Busy Being Jennifer | 24 Breakfast Muffin Recipes!

21. i accidentally the recipe. Is that bad?

(explanation: I used flavored yogurts instead of plain)

22. Pingback: Yogurt Healthy Muffins « Healthfood Tips

23. Pingback: Healthy Yogurt Muffins « Healthfood Tips

24. I am currently on an island called Haida Gwaii on the West Coast of BC with my husband who is teaching a course here. I don’t have all of my usual pantry and grocery items as we are only here for three weeks so I had to get creative!

I didn’t have any plain yogurt in the fridge so I used one cup of sour cream. I also had some pumpkin puree that I wanted to use up so I substituted 1/2 a cup in place of the apple sauce and added one ripe mashed banana. I also added 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and used 1/2 a cup of raisins (no apples).

I know they have a bit more fat & calories from the sour cream but the muffins are delicious! Rich and full of warm fall flavours. Thanks for the inspiration! :-)