Kit Kat Chunk Brownies

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

I have news!

I worked my first day in a commercial kitchen last week.

It was pretty crazy exciting.

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

I started at 4am.

Yes. 4am.

Reading that back actually makes me a little queasy. I actually had to wake up at 3am. Yuck. But you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do!

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

It was dark. The city was quiet. The kitchen was quiet too, as only the pastry chef and I started that early, and all the chefs came in a little later.

I was shown around the kitchen, handed a recipe, and set off to make muffins. Strawberry, peach and coconut muffins. Yum. And then I made brownies. And cheesecake. And carrot cake. And frosting. And the list of tasks went on.

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

The job is at one of Melbourne’s top new cafes, so the kitchen was crazy, full of adrenaline as the chefs pumped out amazingly delicious brunch dishes as I baked away in the pastry section.

I wore a chef’s uniform. And got called chef. And spent the whole day in a kitchen. And got paid to bake. Does this all make me an actual pastry chef now? Because it seems kinda surreal.

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

It was absolutely awesome, and I loved it.

So much so, that I came home and baked some more.

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

I baked these amazingly gooey brownies. It’s a new favourite recipe of mine.

They have hints of coffee flavour.

And big chunks of Kit Kat inside.

Yep. Kit Kat.

Do it.

Kit Kat chunk brownies | Butter Baking

KIT KAT CHUNK BROWNIES
Brownie recipe adapted from Tartine.

3/4 cup unsalted butter (170g, 6 oz)
455g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (1 pound)
5 large eggs
2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed (395g, 14 oz)
1/2 tsp salt
1 – 2 tsp finely ground instant coffee, to taste
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp plain flour (130g, 4.5 oz)
2 king size Chunky Kit Kat bars

Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and butter and line a 9 x 13 inch tray with baking paper.

Roughly chop the Kit Kats into 1/2 inch chunks and set aside.

Cube the butter and put it in a small saucepan. Melt over a low heat. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring well to melt it. If the chocolate doesn’t melt completely, return to the heat for another 10 seconds or so. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar, salt, coffee and vanilla on a high speed until it reaches the ribbon stage – until it is thick, pale, and falls from the beaters in a ribbon that folds onto itself and slowly dissolves on the surface.

Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until incorporated. Quickly but gently fold in the flour, until just combined.

Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and spread out with a spatula. Scatter the chopped Kit Kat bars over the top. Pour the remaining batter over the chocolate chunks. Smooth out the top with a spatula.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until the top is lightly cracked and soft to the touch.

Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Makes 20 brownies.

Happy Baking!

71 Thoughts on “Kit Kat Chunk Brownies

1. Oh wow, you worked as a real pastry chef? Isn’t that a dream come true? Must have been so exciting! So, do you continue working in the kitchen now? Or maybe open op your own cafe? ;)

2. Congratulations, Chef! How exciting to work so hard toward a goal and then….you reach that goal! Of course, anyone who has been following your blog knows that the lucky party here is the smart restaurant that hired you :) These look like celebration brownies to me. I think I might celebrate Sunday today :)

• Hi Wendy! Thank you SO much :-D
      You’re really so kind and lovely and supportive! How nice of you to say all those things!
      It is pretty amazing to reach goals that you strive for :-) I think I’ve been pretty lucky!
      Did you bake the brownies yesterday?!

• The funny thing is the reason I haven’t baked them yet is because my family begged for more of the truffle swirl cookies instead! These brownies are still at the top of my list though. I’ll let you know :)

• Haha well you’re still baking from the blog, which makes me ridiculously happy!
          I have a recipe in mind to bake later today which is stealing your suggestion for peanut butter in the truffle ;-) I’ll let you know how it goes!
          Glad your family likes the cookies so much :-)

3. Your job sounds amazing & I want it! I also want these brownies :-) how about peanut butter kitkat chunky in them as well? :-)

4. Congratulations girl! I’m so excited for you. I’m sure you’ve enjoyed every moment there, and I can see you having your own cafe one day, and why not? you bake amazing goodies, believe me you can get popular in no time.
    As for the brownies, well what can I say. You’ve bought my soul when you added Kit kat :) … My Goodness, and when I thought brownies can’t get any better :)

• Hey Muna! Thanks so much ;-)
      Haha that’s so lovely for you to say – hopefully I will have my own place one day! :-)
      Oh I’m glad you like them! If you bake them let me know what you think :-)

5. How wonderful for you… You sound so happy… Big big congratulations :)

6. Congrats! You had me at Kit Kat! Do you use the milk chocolate ones or the new dark chocolate? Also, you mentioned a hint of coffee flavor…but didn’t see anything added. Is it just one of those gifts from the universe? Because I am convinced I was meant to find THIS recipe TODAY of all days.

• Hey Tracee!
      Thanks very much!
      I used milk chocolate ones, but you can use whatever you like!
      I forgot to list coffee in the ingredients! Thanks so much for picking that up – I have now adjusted the recipe accordingly :-)
      Hope it brightens your day ;-) enjoy!

7. Crispy top….almost gooey centre…. omg it’s an awesome Monday!

8. Monette on February 19, 2013 at 5:08 am said:

Please show us how to make danish!!

9. Just discovered your blog and I am obsessed! These photos are gorgeous and I can’t wait to try out some of your recipes. Xo

10. So pretty! I love your photography.

11. Hi there, I recently discovered your blog and I must say I LOVE it! I’ve been pinning a lot of your recipes to try. These Kit Kat Brownies look awesome –another one I have to try. Congrats on working in your first commercial kitchen –must be exciting!

• Hi Anne! I’m so happy to hear that you found the blog and like it :-D puts a big smile on my face!
      Thanks for the congrats, it is very exciting! Dream come true!
      Hope you enjoy the brownies :-)

12. Hi there, I recently discovered your blog and I must say — I LOVE IT! I’ve been pinning a lot of your recipes to try and this Kit Kat Brownies is another one I must try. Congrats on working in your first commercial kitchen –must be super exciting!

13. So exciting to bake in a professional kitchen Natasha!
    These brownies look so tempting with my morning cup of coffee right now! I love kit-kat, what a delicious idea for a crunchy texture! Brilliant!

14. Hi Natasha,
    I’ve been following you during the time you were studying to become a pastry chef.
    Congratulations 1stly on graduating and 2ndly with the new job!
    I love reading your posts and seeing your delicious photos.

• Hi Angela!
      I have noticed you following, your likes and your lovely comments in the past :-)
      Thank you so much for your support, and for the congratulations! I appreciate it :-) and am very happy to hear that you’re liking the blog :-D Thanks!

15. Congratulations on your first day in a commercial kitchen! That is very exciting – thanks for sharing!! The brownie recipe looks absolutely delicious and who can resist with a name like that?

16. Congratulations on your first day! How incredibly exciting! Can’t wait to read more about your adventures as a chef. And what scrumptious-looking brownies — the name says it all!

17. Pingback: >Marshmallow Stuffed Chocolate Truffle Chunk Oatmeal Cookies | Butter Baking

18. Oh, these look simply divine!

19. Lisa on March 6, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

I made these brownies the other day. The problem was that after 20 minutes of baking the batter was still far too wet. So I put them back in for what turned out to be at least another 20 minutes. I took them out and allowed them to cool overnight. They were still too wet inside in the morning so I tried baking another 10 minutes…basicially the outside edges seemed to cook better but the batter never firmed up in the middle. I ended up cutting them into chunks and keeping them refrigerated to keep them firm enough to eat. They tasted amazing but obviously something wasnt’ right. I followed the directions and ingredients exactly as they are listed above….any idea why I couldn’t get the brownies to ever cook/set? I really want to make these again but need to figure out what went awry with my first attempt before trying again. Thanks for any suggestions.

20. Lisa on March 6, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Hi Natasha, not sure why my first comment didn’t post so I am trying again. I made your brownies this past weekend. I followed your recipe exactly as listed above. my problem arose in the baking process. I baked the cookies as directed for 20 minutes. after cooling I realized they were still far too wet inside (like wet cake batter) so I put them back into a preheated oven for what turned out to be an additional 20 minutes. I pulled them out and allowed them to cool overnight. In the morning when I attempted to cut the brownies I saw that again they were far too wet inside. Again in the oven another 10 minutes (these brownies have now been cooked a total of 50 minutes). After removing and allowing to cool the outside edges seemed to be okay but the center was far too wet. I basically ended up cutting up the brownies and keeping them refrigerated so they would maintain their shape. They tasted amazing but obviously something went wrong. I am wondering if you have any ideas or suggestions as to why this happened. I would really love to make these again, once I figure out why they wouldn’t cook for me….If it is any help, I live in California, near sea level. Not sure where you are but I do know that various altitudes can impact the cooking process. Thanks again.

• Hi Lisa.
      Wow okay. My friend had a similar problem with these brownies the other day. She was texting me as she was baking them, she kept putting them into the oven to cook them for longer because the middle wouldn’t set. I asked her if her oven was preheated, if the was using a metal tin, if she put in the right amount of flour… turns out she did all those things right, but the pan she used was too small. It was too small and too deep, and the brownie batter got all crunchy around the outside and wouldn’t bake in the middle. Could that have been the problem?
      Keep in mind that the brownies are quite moist, as you can see from the photos.
      Better luck next time :-)

21. Ha, that’s my dream job :)
    I love your blog and keep drifting here all the time, this is one recipe I should try for my chocoholic family

22. Pingback: >Lemon Coconut Bars | Butter Baking

23. Nikita on March 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm said:

How would you bake this recipe without using eggs…

24. I’m not a huge kit kat person but I loved these. I bought the caramel kit kats which added a nice caramel flavor to the brownies. Delish!

• Thanks Jen, that’s great to hear! I like the idea of caramel kit kats, and you could totally sub in any favourite chocolate bar – or leave it out altogether! Happy you enjoyed :-)

25. hi is there a eggless version ???

26. I made these brownies a few days ago with my boyfriend. They turned out great and we couldn’t stop to eat them! They were much thinner though.. anyways thanks for the most delicious brownie recipe ever! :)

27. Stephanie on April 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm said:

Hey Natasha,this recipe is so amazing,my family keep asking me to make this again and again and this is the only brownies recipe that never failed or me,because before i found this one,the brownies never end up well. Btw,believe me when i say that we almost have a same story,just follow the dream that we have,i have graduated from university last year,my major was economy but now i have a small online cake shop and almost everyday,the thing that i want to do is trying a new recipe of baked goodness! I will take a patisserie major in college also,in july,can’t wait for that,it must be fun,right?have a nice day,natasha :)

• Wow Stephanie that’s awesome1
      I love that the brownies work for you so well. They are so delicious!
      And I love that we have the same story! Congratulations with your online cake shop, and good luck at school – it is SO much fun doing what you love!! :-)

28. Pingback: Passionfruit Tart | Butter Baking

29. RC Dubose on May 12, 2013 at 12:47 am said:

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I made these brownies for my family yesterday…Holy Moly! They are delish. And present beautifully. I just sent my husband out the door with a little stack of them wrapped in parchment; a treat for the work day. He was a happy, happy man. I am so enjoying your blog and have a running list of things to bake from it. Love your story, too. My passion is baking and my dream is to attend culinary school once my children are a bit older. Like you, my earlier degrees just don’t quite fit. Good luck and thanks for the beautiful inspiration.

• Hi! I love hearing stories like this, thanks so much for your comment :-)
      I’m happy to hear you liked the brownies, you can really put anything in them, and they’re so fudgy!
      I hope that you can one day fulfil your culinary school dream, that’s so exciting.
      Happy baking, keep me updated as to what you make! :-)

30. Hope Wolf on September 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

I tried this recipe and followed the instruction closely, turned out to be the most decadent dessert I ever baked, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe with the interwebs! <3

31. priscilla on November 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm said:

Hi Natasha :)
    I just found yr blog and got myself fall in love w/ the pict of yr brownies. I’m wondering about how to make the pretty glossy-light brown-crisp-thin layer at the top of the brownies? I’m almost desperate w/ brownies. Would you please please please share some tricks? I don’t have any idea weather it’s because of the choc you use, or the technique of mixing the ingredients or anything else???? Looking forward for your reply. Thanks :D

• Hi priscilla! There’s no trick – that’s just how brownies typically bake up! Follow the recipe and your brownies should also have a crispy thin layer on top.
      Good luck! :-)

• priscilla on November 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm said:

Thanks for your kind reply :) My brownies never turn out as yours. But I never do for full recipe, maybe just 1/4 recipe :/ b’coz I always worry about the result. That might be the cause of my failure; maybe the baking temperature not properly set for 1/4 recipe. Could you please suggest me the right temperature for 1/4 recipe and for how long? If I did it well for 1/4 recipe as the basic, I’ll have self confidence to do the full recipe and can’t wait to try your other recipes. Thanks in advance Natasha ^_^

32. i have been addicted to chocolatey ooey gooey fudge brownies and i must try this…..Thank YOU :)

33. Pingback: Kit Kat Brownie | the little thoughts that matter

34. Pingback: 10 Postres irresistibles con Kit-Kat | Craft+Co.Craft+Co.

35. Pingback: Kit Kat Chunk Brownies | via @butter_baking #baking #recipes #sweetstuff | FEAST

36. Lorena on July 8, 2014 at 9:59 pm said:

Buenas, TENGO UNA DUDA:

Quiero hacer brownies para 25 personas. ¿Qué cantidad de ingredientes necesitaría?
    ¿Para cuántos comensales sería los ingredientes de tu receta?

Espero puedas ayudarme, estoy deseando probar la receta :)

Gracias!