Oh my gosh.
I made homemade chocolate hazelnut spread (aka Nutella) the other day.
And it blew my mind.
I made it at work, and used it to fill chocolate shortbread sandwich cookies.
Then I ate a large portion of it with a spoon, before making another double batch, and turning that into little homemade Nutella tarts to sell in the cafe.
Man oh man, why haven’t I gotten onto this sooner? Where have I been?
I want to make it at home. So that I can share the recipe with you. And eat a whole lot of it, straight up. And then try out a whole bunch of different recipes with the homemade spread, and share them with you too.
But I burnt out my food processor the other day, making a double batch of these healthy double chocolate chip peanut butter cookie dough bites. It was a sad moment.
So unfortunately, I’ll have to buy a new food processor first. Then I can make
myself you some homemade Nutella.
Until then, we have homemade chocolate hazelnut chocolates (aka Baci).
They’re just as good (although now I’m thinking they would be even better with homemade Nutella inside).
Regardless, I loved these. And I love Erin, for posting the recipe and making me drool so much with her photos that I pretty much ran into the kitchen and made these straight away.
I don’t think I’ll ever be able to eat a commercial Baci chocolate again. So get onto these. Stat.
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped (7 oz)
- 40g unsalted butter (3 tbsp)
- 200g roasted hazelnuts, finely chopped (7 oz)
- 200g Nutella (7 oz)
- 30 whole hazelnuts (approx.)
- 100g dark chocolate, extra, chopped (3.5 oz)
- In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the 200g dark chocolate and unsalted butter in 30 second bursts, stirring at each interval until the chocolate and butter are melted, smooth and combined.
- Mix in the chopped hazelnuts and the Nutella.
- Refrigerate or freeze for about 20 minutes until the mixture firms up a little.
- Roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls and top each one with a whole hazelnut, pressing down slightly. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the 100g dark chocolate, in 30 second bursts, stirring between each burst until it is melted and smooth.
- Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate across all the Baci.
- Allow to set. Makes 30 homemade chocolates.
- Happy baking!
Recipe adapted from Texanerin.