Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

What feels like way back when, before I started working full time, I was baking macarons from home and selling them to a little cafe/champagne bar.

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

I would bake them every Monday, typically making about three different flavours, which always included salted caramel, and then varied through from rice pudding to lemon tart (you may have seen photos like this on instagram) depending on my mood and what was selling well.

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

The chocolate hazelnut ones were probably my personal favourites, so now that the macaron-baking is over, I’m sharing the recipe with you here!

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

My advice to you when making macarons is not to over-complicate it. Don’t read horror stories. Don’t scare yourself about whether or not you’re going to have feet. Just follow the steps, and you should be fine.

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

The most important step is the Italian meringue. Don’t over-whip the egg whites before you add the sugar syrup – you want them to be frothy only, and that will result in a smooth and shiny meringue.

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

Know you’re oven and be sure it doesn’t run too hot. You can always bring the temperature down if you need to. And use flat trays!

Also, the resting time is important for the macarons to grow feet. It allows them to develop a skin, which then rises up in the oven.

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

Now that’s all the important stuff out of the way – you’re ready to bake (and eat!)!

Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Butter Baking

• 400g milk chocolate, finely chopped
  • 200g double cream
  • 50g unsalted butter, softened
  • 100g Nutella
Method
  1. TO MAKE THE MACARON SHELLS:
  2. Line 4 - 6 trays with baking paper.
  3. Sift the almond meal, icing sugar and cocoa into a large bowl and mix well.
  4. Pour 110g egg whites, the coffee and vanilla over the dry ingredients. Do not mix. Set aside.
  5. Make an Italian meringue. Put the remaining 110g egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Do not turn on.
  6. Put the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir. Place over a medium heat and fit with a candy thermometer.
  7. Watch the sugar as it boils. When the mixture reaches about 110 C, turn the egg whites onto a high speed. Whip these until they form very soft peaks. The sugar should be 115 C at this stage.
  8. When the sugar reaches 115 C, turn off the heat. While the egg whites are still beating on high, pour the sugar syrup, very slowly, into the eggs. Aim for a point in between the side of the bowl and the moving whisk. Continue to beat until the mixture cools (feel it through the base of the bowl).
  9. Fold the Italian meringue into the almond meal mixture in three batches, until well incorporated and smooth.
  10. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with medium round nozzle and pipe small 1 inch rounds of mixture onto the lined trays, allowing a little room for spreading. Tap each tray onto the bench a few times, HARD, to remove air bubbles. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
  11. Set the trays of macarons aside for about 30 minutes so they can develop a skin. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).
  12. Bake the macarons for 11 - 12 minutes, opening the door at the 8 minute mark and the 10 minute mark, in order to let out any steam. If they grow and develop little "feet", they have worked. They are ready when you can gently lift one off the tray without leaving its foot behind.
  13. Set the macarons aside to cool completely while you make the ganache.
  14. FOR THE CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT GANACHE:
  15. Place the finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
  16. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to the boil and pour it over the chocolate.
  17. Set aside for 2 - 3 minutes, then stir, starting from the middle, until the chocolate is melted and incorporated with the cream.
  18. Set aside in the refrigerator until the ganache firms up.
  19. Add the butter and Nutella to the ganache and use a stick blender to blitz the mixture until it is light and fluffy (you can also do this in a food processor).
  20. Match the macaron shells up so they have partners of similar size. Upturn one shell of each pair of macarons.
  21. Spoon the ganache into a piping bag fitted with a medium round nozzle.
  22. Pipe a little ganache onto the center of each upturned macaron. Sandwich it together with its partner.
  23. Keep refrigerated. Makes 50 - 60 macarons.
  24. Happy baking!

Macaron shell recipe adapted from Pierre Herme.

74 Thoughts on “Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons

1. Thank YOU! Thank YOU! I can’t wait to give these a try! Look amazing! Crossing my fingers that you’ll be posting more macaron recipes and tips.

2. What beautiful cookies, Natasha! I have never been to a champagne bar (though it sounds WONDERFUL) , I imagine these elegant morsels to be lovely with a cold glass of bubbly. :) I thought my nut allergies were a good excuse not to try macarons. Then I found a nut free recipe. Still I resisted. Then you mention rice pudding macarons. Oh, my. I know you are a chocolate-hazelnut enthusiast, Nutella making frequent appearances in your recipes, but please share your rice pudding macaron recipe. Crunchy rice pudding sounds like heaven to me!

• Hello! A nut free macaron recipe!? I wonder how that’s done!
      Haha the rice pudding ones are delicious – not crunchy though, you have the crisp outer shell but the inner macaron is soft and chewy. I used Adriano Zumbo’s rice pudding recipe – a thick rice pudding is folded through white chocolate ganache and piped into the shells. I make the shells without cocoa and sprinkle them with a little cinnamon before baking, too :-)

• I am now guessing you get a kick back from Qantas. :) After that description, I will be on the next plane to Australia! They truly sound fantastic, Natasha! Perhaps I can at least try making Adriano Zumbo’s rice pudding if I can locate the recipe. :)

3. kelsey on October 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm said:

oh these are gorgeous! I’ve been wanting to make macarons for such a long time, and have just been too nervous. I must do it now!

4. Please also share your salted caramel macaron recipe! My boyfriend loves it so I want to bake him some for our 2 year anniversary gift! =)

• Hi Pearl! It will probably be a while before I share that – it means I would have to make macarons again and I’d prefer to stay away for now!
      I tend to make the same chocolate shells and then make pierre herme’s caramel filling :-)

5. These look gorgeous! I’ve never made macarons but I think this recipe would be a great place to start!

6. Pingback: Chocolate Hazelnut Macarons | Food Overload

7. Fab recipe and really clear instructions! I’ve never had much luck with macarons in the past but I think I’ll have to have another go at it now! :)

8. Beautiful. That’s all. :)

9. Gorgeous macarons!

10. These look perfect, Natasha! And I totally agree that the trick is to not over-complicate things. Reading macaron fails can definitely psych a person out even before the baking commences!

11. When I made these I had a problem getting them to rise and then get feet. The ones I made looked like they were perfect then at the last minute the feet spread out on the bottom. :( any tips?

12. Now that I have a stand mixer to make light work of those egg whites I can’t wait to have a go at making macarons, very excited :-)

13. Charlie on December 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

Would you be able to do it without the candy thermometer? How would you know when the sugar syrup is ready? We weren’t able to find a candy thermometer at the baking store!! Thankyou :)

• Hi Charlie. Probably not. You want soft ball sugar (when you drop a bit of the hot sugar into cold water, it should form a soft ball) but doing it manually isn’t ideal. You can use a probe/other type of thermometer :-)

14. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella | Monthly Recipes

15. Pingback: Foodie News: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella - ASQRD | ASQRD

16. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella : Eat-Best.com

17. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella : Grandmas Cooking

18. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella | GossipViews.com

19. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella | Really Epic Stuff

20. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella - Avidmav

21. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella | シ最愛遲到.!

22. Pingback: 33 Super-Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella - MyPress.SE - Universal News Agency

23. Pingback: Les 24 meilleures recettes à base de Nutella | imediabuzzy

24. Pingback: Nutella Creations | TheCannizzoClutch

25. Pingback: Fancy Ways To Eat More Nutella | Pinky Ring

26. Pingback: 33 Delicious Nutella Recipes | Chef Recipes

27. Pingback: より多くのNutellaを食べる33のスーパー装飾的な方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行る予感!

28. Pingback: より多くのNutellaを食べる33のスーパー装飾的な方法 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行る予感!

29. Caroline on February 7, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

These look so yummy! I noticed the temperatures in your recipe are in Celcius and the conversion to Fahrenheit will not be exact on my oven. Will that affect how the macarons will bake? If it does, is there a specific temperature I should use?

30. Jannah on March 13, 2014 at 3:34 am said:

GOD BLESS YOUR WONDERFUL HEART! Thanks a BUNCH for this well detailed post and for sharing your magnificent recipe! Like omg they are soooooo perfect I’m crying! I’ve made 1000 macron recipes and this one is the BEST EVERRRR! My macrons look like laduree macrons! LOVE YOU!

31. Do you have the conversions of this recipe in cups?

• No I don’t. I wouldn’t recommend making it in cups either, as it needs to be so precise. A kitchen scale is quite inexpensive and should do the job for you :-)

32. Pingback: Macarons | Julie, Julia, & Jenna!

33. hii. in india, we dont get almond flour .. how do i make it myself?

34. What type of coffee did you use? Is it able to use 3-in-1 coffee? :)

35. Trinh Phan on May 9, 2014 at 11:57 pm said:

How many egg whites is 110 g?

36. edward on May 13, 2014 at 12:02 am said:

im live in indonesia im not have caster sugar and almond meal at least I dont know what is almond meal and caster sugar, my english is bad TT_TT

37. Judith Ayuyu on May 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

i an sorry but how grams to a cup when asking in the recipe especially on the Nutrella macroons cookis?

• Hi Judith! How many grams to a cup depend on what you’re measuring! Check out my baking conversions page for some specific conversions for common ingredients. As for the macaron recipe, you’ll really need to use weight there so are best to invest in a cheap kitchen scale :-)

38. Limzhijun on May 25, 2014 at 1:34 am said:

The coffee you mention in the recipe is black coffee?

39. Pingback: Macaron: today we celebrate this delicacy | Healthy Lifestyle

40. Limzhijun on June 4, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Hi! I tried and I fail because the shell cracked and I had difficulties in removing the shell from the baking sheet. Is it because of the heat? I used top and bottom heat to bake my maracon.

41. Esther Li on June 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm said:

Hi. your macaroons looks scrumptious. I never had the courage to make it myself, but you make it look so easy. :-)
    Haha ..more then that, i saw the comment on Zumbo’s rice pudding. Wondering if you would forward the recipe to me ? that is what i want to try most. :-) Really appreciate it.

• Hi Esther! Once you understand macarons they’re pretty simple! As for Zumbo’s rice pudding, the recipe is from his book (I’m sure a quick google will help you find an online version). But it is simply for a super thick rice pudding base used for macaron ganache, not a rice pudding you would eat on its own :-)

42. Hi Natasha, please tell me, you put egg whites to dry ingredients and don´t mix. So do you mix all together with italian meringue? Thank you :)

43. Caroline on July 27, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:

Hi

Really great recipe thanks for sharing

I tried the recipe and they tasted great and looked really cute which was a first for me as all my other attempts were terrible but they were a bit cakey and not shinny and crisp like it should be do you know why?

Also I skipped on the coffee because I don’t like the taste what could I substitute it for?

Thanks

• Hi Caroline, happy to hear you liked the recipe :-)
      Not sure why they would have been cakey? Maybe because you removed the coffee (a liquid). The macarons won’t taste like coffee, the addition just helps with the colour and depth of flavour. Good luck