You’re going to love this recipe.
Because this is the kind of easy, quick-to-bake recipe that you can whip up in absolutely no time.
It requires hardly any effort – all you need to do is brown a little butter, then whisk everything together. Seriously. That’s it.
No mixer required. Barely any washing up. And 20 minutes later, you have gorgeous, warm little friands making your home smell all friand-y.
You can even make the batter in advance, leave it in the fridge for a day (or three) and bake it when you’re ready.
And as a bonus, letting the mixture hang out in your fridge for a while develops its flavour, so the friands taste even better.
You’re going to love this recipe, because these friands not only look cute, but they are moist and full of brown buttery, lemony, white chocolate flavour, with pops of fresh strawberry.
They keep well, and are super perfect for packing into a pretty box and taking along with you to a coffee date/dinner/afternoon party.
Last week, I was seriously struggling to come up with something to bake to take to a dinner. It needed to be able to survive well overnight without being refrigerated, needed to be easy to transport, and couldn’t be too time consuming to make. I wanted to mix up some fun flavours too, and possibly use berries because they’re in season here. And I was coming up with nada.
Until these suddenly came to mind!
I first made these months ago and can’t believe I haven’t revisited them sooner.
Particularly as there are so many flavour possibilities. My gosh, you can do anything with these! You can mix in nuts, berries (fresh or frozen), other fruit, zest, chocolate…and the list goes on.
You have to try them! X
- 8 egg whites
- 225g unsalted butter, browned (1 cup)
- 270g icing (powdered) sugar, sifted
- 135g almond meal
- 75g plain flour, sifted (1/2 cup)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 80g white chocolate, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 punnet strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and grease a large 12 hole muffin pan (or 12 - 15 friand moulds).
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites just to break them up.
- Add the browned butter, icing sugar, almond meal, flour and salt, whisking until combined. Mix in the lemon zest and white chocolate.
- Pour the batter into each mould, until it is ¾ full.
- Top each one with half a strawberry.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from moulds. Makes 12 - 15 friands.
- Happy baking!
Adapted from What Katie Ate.