I love chocolate brownies, particularly when they’re the melt-in-your-mouth fudgy kind. And these definitely hit that mark.
This recipe was actually adapted from one of my favourite tarts – this Oreo dream tart. The baked truffle filling is smooth and silky, luscious, melt-in-your-mouth delicious and probably one of my favourite things to eat.
So I decided to bake it, without a tart shell. It went from truffle tart filling to flourless chocolate fudge and walnut brownie. And it’s a damn good brownie. Probably one of the best brownies I’ve ever had. Maybe even one of the best brownies you’ll ever have.
These have no flour in them, so there’s no way they could ever be cakey. All fudge here, people. And chilled from the fridge? Oh, so, so good. I put in some walnuts and chopped them up really finely, so they add a little texture and crunch without taking over the brownies.
Decorate them with whipped cream and strawberries and call them dessert. Or make like I do and sneak them just as they are, while standing in front of the open fridge, and call them lunch. X
- 200g dark chocolate (7 oz)
- 175g butter (6 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 175g brown sugar (6 oz)
- 200ml cream (7 fl oz)
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- Strawberries and whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Grease and line an 8x8inch square tin with baking paper.
- To make the brownie batter, melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir occasionally until the mixture is smooth and combined.
- Meanwhile, whip the eggs and brown sugar together using a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment for about 5 minutes, until light and creamy.
- Gently fold the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture. Then fold in the cream. If using, fold in the walnuts.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until puffed and just set.
- Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate. When cold, remove the brownie from the pan and cut into squares.
- Optionally, serve with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Keep refrigerated. Makes 9 brownies.
- Happy baking!