I cannot believe that it’s February already. Where have the weeks gone? I really noticed how quickly time flies today when I realised that I first made this tart over five weeks ago! It feels like it was only the other day.
Over Christmas, a few of us were sitting around and sneaking a few too many Raffaello truffles from the big bowl on the coffee table before dessert. Everyone was saying how much they loved them, so I set out to recreate the flavours of a Raffaello for New Year’s Day dessert.
I did a little playing around and this is what I came up with. A crumbly, easy, coconut base that you just mix together quickly and press straight into the tart tin.
I made a creamy, light, delicious filling that uses a few ingredients but allows them to really sing. It tastes strongly of white chocolate and coconut, and uses mascarpone to add a creamy lightness.
I added raspberries to the tart filling to cut through all the richness and add bursts of freshness. Then lots and lots of shredded coconut got piled on top to make the tart look like a Raffaello, too.
The result is a really beautiful tart! It’s so delicious and easy to make that it’s quickly become one of my favourite recipes. And I daresay it tastes even better than a store-bought Raffaello. X
- FOR THE TART BASE:
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup self raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 125g unsalted butter, melted (4.5 oz, 9 tbsp)
- ½ tsp salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 400ml can coconut milk (14 oz)
- 80g shredded coconut (1 cup)
- 200g white chocolate (1 cup), finely chopped
- 750g mascarpone (3 cups)
- ½ cup icing (powdered) sugar
- ⅔ cup raspberries
- 80g shredded coconut (1 cup) extra, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and butter an 8 inch round tart tin with removable bottom.
- To make the coconut tart base, mix both flours, the coconut, brown sugar, salt and melted butter together in a large bowl.
- Press evenly into the sides and base of the tin. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until golden and slightly puffed. Set aside to cool completely and then refrigerate until required.
- To make the Raffaello filling, place the coconut milk and 1 cup shredded coconut in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Cook for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the coconut has soaked up all the coconut milk.
- Stir in the white chocolate until it's completely melted and incorporated. Transfer into a bowl, cover the surface with cling wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Once the mixture is cool, whip the mascarpone and icing sugar for 10 seconds or so, till just combined. Fold into the white chocolate coconut mixture.
- Spread a quarter of the filling into the tart shell and top with the raspberries.
- Spread the remaining raffaello filling over the raspberries and top with the remaining cup of coconut.
- Keep refrigerated. Serves 10 - 12.
- Happy baking!
Tart base adapted from this caramel slice recipe.
Filling adapted from Kwestia Smaku.