Anzac Biscuits

Today is Anzac Day.

In Australia, that means a day off from school and from work for most people. So I thought I’d bake some Anzac biscuits to represent the day, and because its raining out and what better to do on a rainy day than bake?

Anzac biscuits are a very popular rolled oat biscuit in Australia. The story goes that a similar, harder version of the Anzac biscuit was sent over to soldiers in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) during World War I, as they were filling and didn’t spoil easily.

And as they have such a presence here, I have been baking them since I was a little girl. They were probably one of the first things I ever baked, and the recipe was handwritten into my childhood recipe journal. To be honest, I’m not even sure where it originated from.

Even though I have been baking these for years and they are very simple to make, this is the first time I got them right, the way I truly like them – crispy.

Just around the edges and outside though. Anzac biscuits tend to maintain a chew throughout the center. But I found that flattening them right down on the trays gave me a big, flat, crisp yet chewy, buttery, oaty Anzac biscuit. If you prefer a chewier version, simple flatten them less.

ANZAC BISCUITS

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
125g unsalted butter, melted (4.5 oz)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line 2 trays with baking paper.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, coconut, sugar and salt.

Add the melted butter and maple syrup and stir well to combine.

In a little bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water. Mix it through the dough.

Roll large tablespoons of the dough into balls and place them on the baking trays, allowing room for spreading. Flatten a little for a chewy cookie and flatten right down for a crisp cookie like mine.

Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, until golden. Makes 16 large, palm-size cookies, but you could always make 32 smaller Anzacs.

29 Thoughts on “Anzac Biscuits

1. Joyce on April 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

As an Aussie living abroad, it always warms my heart to come across Anzac Cookie recipes. It brings back memories of the day off school that always rained, movie marathons, the Anzac Day march and the blessed cookies. Thank you for reviving the memories.

2. Liz Curr on April 26, 2012 at 5:48 am said:

Living in Nova Scotia we have had the good fortune to find a great local coffee shop that serves a good cappuccino and a great cookie called an “anzac”. I was thrilled to see your posting on TasteSpotting and just had to get the background on these delicious cookies. Thanks for the recipe too … I just made some as a surprise for my husband … now I hope he will make me a cappuccino to go with it ;) Happy Anzac Day from an Canadian Cookie Lover.

• Hi Liz! I’m glad to hear that you discovered the history behind Anzacs, made them and liked them! Aren’t they great? And so simple! I hope you get that cappuccino, too :-)

3. Nikki on April 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

Is there another kind of coconut that I could substitute here? At the store (I live in the States) we usually have flaked or shredded, and it’s always sweetened. I googled it and it seems dessicated coconut is usually unsweetened and is dried. I might be able to find it at a health food store if it has to be dessicated. Just wondering, thanks!

• Hi Nikki! I have never seen/used sweetened coconut in Australia! I’m sure you can use some form of shredded coconut, the finer you can find the better, as a substitute. They may turn out a little sweeter than they are supposed to but I’m sure it will be fine :-)

4. I LOVE Anzac biscuits! My mom used to have friends in Australia when I was a kid, and she got the recipe from one of them. I remember when she made them, and I was IN LOVE. These are so delicious, I think I’ll have to make some!

5. miranda on June 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm said:

I moved to England last month & forgot to bring my grandmother’s Anzac recipe – disaster! quick Google for a crispy version & I discovered your lovely blog. I’ll be making these today, though substituting classic golden syrup in place of maple.

Beautiful photography & method, thanks for sharing.

6. bugsygriffiths@gmail.com on July 1, 2012 at 12:39 am said:

my 78 year old dad is very happy with me

7. I made it! I made it! Yes! First time I had the courage to try out something off the net. It wasn’t perfect and all, but I loved it! (I reduced the amount of sugar and butter slightly, so I wouldn’t feel guilty about a certain diet :)) Thank You Natatsha.

8. hankering for more Anzac bikkies & thought I should share – I took a batch to work last week & the Northern English folk loved them! Aussie answer to the flapjack perhaps. I forgot to say my grandmother always put a beaten egg through hers, which I suspect aids texture & gets these nice & golden. I did the same with this recipe & it worked a treat.

to the kitchen!

• Hi Miranda! So nice to hear that you baked these and that people liked them! The idea of putting a beaten egg into the recipe is great too :-) And I totally need to try flapjacks by the sound of things!!

9. Pingback: HAWERMOUTKOEKIES alias OAT CRUNCHIES alias OAT MEAL BISCUITS « sugar on toast

10. They look beautiful! I love these cookies n m excited about trying them at home. Don’t have maple syrup though..or even golden/corn. what can i use as a substitute?

• Hi Nasreen! Thanks so much, they’re really yum and you should try them!
      The recipe is pretty traditional though so do get the real effect I would probably head out and buy some maple or golden syrup :-) enjoy!

• Nasreen on January 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm said:

I got the syrup but made another blunder..hehe. I tried demerara sugar instead. Just coz you know, its so pretty smelling. The crystals didn’t melt and thoe cookies are still nice, they’re a bit too crunchy to be like Anzacs. Learnt my lesson though, i should’ve crushed it a bit before using.

• Hi Nasreen. Stick to brown sugar next time, as per the recipe, and you shouldn’t have an issue. The brown sugar has a deep molasses flavour and is also moister, which all impacts on the result of the cookie :-)

11. I finally made them! :) They’re SOOOO good. Oh my gosh. I only made 1/2 the recipe and ate half the dough before the oven was preheated. I followed the directions and used all the correct ingredients and everything! But pretty soon I’m going to start messing with the recipe and you know, do what I do. Soooo good. Who knew something this simple would be so good?! Oh and love the simplicity. Dumping in the same amount of everything was nice. :)

And um, I ate all the cookies. They’re gone. Alex had one. Whoops.

• HAHAHHAHA. They’re amazing, right?! I’m so glad that you liked them. And that you ate all the dough. And that you ate all the cookies :-) simplicity is sometimes the best. But I’m looking forward to see your healthified version! ;-)

12. Best recipe! Finally achieved the perfect crunchy Anzac, I would never have guessed it was all in the flattening. Thanks so much!

13. Maria on June 5, 2014 at 9:13 pm said:

Hey Natasha,

Amazing results ) thanks for this recipe! I add a bit of milk to combine the mixture as it was still too dry. And it taste soon good….tried both variations flat and balls. Hope that I can stop eating ))

• Hi Maria! Happy you like the recipe! Surprised you needed more moisture though, did you weigh your butter on a scale? Regardless I’m glad you enjoyed them :-)

14. Beverley Pattison. on August 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm said:

Hi Natasha, My mother used to make anzacs and they were flat brown and crunchy, not at all like the ones we make now, more like brandy snaps, how would you make them, my daughter has made them and she never get them right.