So, it’s like, the end of May. I’m honestly not sure where the year has gone! Wasn’t it just March?
I know I’ve neglected the recipe-sharing, but I have been baking, and filming, and have some exciting things stored up ready to share.
It’s my birthday tomorrow, so I thought the most appropriate recipe to start with is one for cake!
I even made a little video showing you how to assemble it! If you’re reading this in your email or can’t see the video below, click here to watch it.
This is a super easy layer cake – no buttercream or coating or smooth edges required. Just pile the Nutella ganache swirled cream onto the layers of moist banana cake and dust the whole thing in cocoa. Easiest cake, ever.
- BANANA CAKE
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup caster (superfine) sugar (220g)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil(100g)
- 1⅓ cups ripe, mashed bananas (340g, or 3½ bananas)
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain (all purpose) flour (210g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp dutch cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- NUTELLA SWIRLED CREAM
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (250ml)
- 1 cup thickened cream (250ml)
- 2 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar (30g)
- ⅓ cup Nutella (100g)
- Dutch cocoa, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (325 F). Grease and line the base of 2 x 8" cake tins with baking paper.
- FOR THE BANANA CAKE
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and both sugars together until pale and thick, for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer down to a medium speed and slowly drizzle in the oil until it is all incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the bananas, yogurt and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and fold in gently.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until the cakes are golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before inverting out of the pan onto a tray. Transfer the cakes to the fridge to make them easier to handle.
- FOR THE NUTELLA CREAM
- In a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip the mascarpone, cream and sugar together until thick and almost stiff peaks.
- Divide the cream equally into two bowls. Fold the Nutella into one bowl of cream, gently, so you still have swirls through the cream. Leave the other bowl of cream plain.
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Place one layer of cake on a serving plate. Top with the Nutella cream and spread out almost to the edges.
- Place the other layer of cake on top, pressing down just slightly. Top with the plain cream, spreading it out to the edges.
- To finish, dust with cocoa. Keep refrigerated. Serves 10 - 12.
- Happy baking!
Banana cake recipe adapted from Flour.